Russian Air Force gets new Sukhoi Su-30SM fighter
Moscow: Aircraft maker Irkut has delivered the first two Sukhoi Su-30SM fighter aircraft to the Russian Air Force, the company said.
Flight testing of the multirole fighter jet began around two months ago, following the first flight of the Su-30SM Sep 21, Irkut said.
"It is significant that the aircraft is in series production, and will enter air force service not in ones and twos but in squadrons," said Maj Gen Alexander Karchevsky, commander of the air force`s Gagarin and Zhukovsky training academy.
The Su-30SM is the latest development of the twin-seat Su-30 jet fighter family, itself a derivative of the long-serving single-seat Sukhoi Su-27, one of the air force`s most important warplanes.
The new aircraft has an improved radar, communications and identification-friend-or-foe system, new ejection seat and new weapons.
It also has thrust-vectoring engine nozzles and canard foreplanes, providing super-maneuverability at low airspeeds.
The contract between the defence ministry and Irkut for 30 of the new jets by 2015 was signed in March.
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part II
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part III
- DNA: Media bribed for suppressing details of AgustaWestland chopper scam
- DNA: India's own GPS system, IRNSS-G1 successfully launched
- Talks with Pakistan foreign secretary just 'courtesy': India
- Housing prices rose during Oct-Dec quarter of 2015-16: RBI
- Kerala CM Chandy files defamation case against Achuthanandan
- Earthquake rocks southwest France, no casualties reported
- West Bengal polls fifth phase to decide fate of four Narada 'stung' Trinamool biggies