Russian Su-27 fighter jets enter Japanese air space
Tokyo: Two Russian Su-27 fighter jets Thursday entered Japanese airspace over Hokkaido island, forcing the Japanese government to lodge a protest on the issue with Russia, Xinhua reported.
The incident, the first to occur since February 2008, took place around 3 pm in the airspace over the territorial waters of Rishiri island in Hokkaido, the Japanese foreign ministry said.
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe earlier said Japan will promote talks with Russia to resolve territorial dispute between the two countries.
Abe said he hopes the two countries could find solutions acceptable to both sides.
Japan and Russia are embroiled in a dispute over some islands north of Hokkaido since the end of the World War II.
The islands were called the Southern Kuril in Russia and the Northern Territories in Japan.
The dispute has prevented the two countries from signing a peace treaty.
Earlier this week, Russia launched a large-scale military drill on the Kuril Islands, involving artillery, air forces, navy and border troops. However, it was unclear whether the war games were held near the disputed islands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant
- When Peter Mukherjea met and fell madly in love with Indrani