Russian wanted by Uzbekistan seeks political asylum
Moscow: A geologist in Russia wanted by authorities in Uzbekistan for arrest is seeking political asylum in Russian city of Bryansk, a migration official said Friday.
Uzbekistan has issued an international arrest warrant for Leonid Loshchakov on suspicion of forgery and embezzlement, the officials said.
Loshchakov is being held at a pre-trial detention facility, said Tatyana Myslentsova, deputy head of the Federal Migration Service`s Bryansk region department.
Loshchakov headed staff training at the Navoiysky Mining and Metallurgical Plant in Uzbekistan. He also oversaw a programme financed by the plant to send Uzbek students for training in Russia.
In August, Loshchakov was summoned by military prosecutors in Uzbekistan and told that his activities posed a threat to national interests. He learned of having been placed on an international wanted list as he attempted to register with migration authorities in his native city of Bryansk.
Myslentsova said the deadline for a decision on Loshchakov`s request for political asylum request is May 5.
"We are prepared to help, but we don`t have all the materials," Myslentsova said. "We need to clarify what the situation is in Uzbekistan and what the consequences are if he returns."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Xiaomi Mi Max smartphone, MIUI 8 to be launched today
- Amit Shah questions circumstances behind Syama Prasad Mookerjee's death, accuses Nehru of historic blunder on J&K issue
- SHAMEFUL! Hindu journalist in Pakistan forced to drink from separate glass in office as Muslims raise objections
- Be ready to tackle floods, Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik's message to administration
- Watch: AR Murugadoss introduces action avatar of Sonakshi Sinha in 'Akira'