Russian wanted by Uzbekistan seeks political asylum
Moscow: A geologist in Russia wanted by authorities in Uzbekistan for arrest is seeking political asylum in Russian city of Bryansk, a migration official said Friday.
Uzbekistan has issued an international arrest warrant for Leonid Loshchakov on suspicion of forgery and embezzlement, the officials said.
Loshchakov is being held at a pre-trial detention facility, said Tatyana Myslentsova, deputy head of the Federal Migration Service`s Bryansk region department.
Loshchakov headed staff training at the Navoiysky Mining and Metallurgical Plant in Uzbekistan. He also oversaw a programme financed by the plant to send Uzbek students for training in Russia.
In August, Loshchakov was summoned by military prosecutors in Uzbekistan and told that his activities posed a threat to national interests. He learned of having been placed on an international wanted list as he attempted to register with migration authorities in his native city of Bryansk.
Myslentsova said the deadline for a decision on Loshchakov`s request for political asylum request is May 5.
"We are prepared to help, but we don`t have all the materials," Myslentsova said. "We need to clarify what the situation is in Uzbekistan and what the consequences are if he returns."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India