Saudi Arabia executes Lankan maid for murdering infant
Colombo: Saudi Arabia has beheaded a Sri Lankan maid for killing a baby in her care in 2005, despite President Mahinda Rajapaksa`s call for a stay of the execution.
Rizana Nafeek, who was on death row on charges of having killed a four-month-old baby, was beheaded in the Dawadmi province near the capital Riyadh.
In 2007, Nafeek was convicted of the murder. She, however, denied the charges.
The Saudi Arabian government has gone ahead with her (Nafeek) execution despite assurances as late as last week from Sri Lanka`s Ambassador to Saudi Arabia that she would be released, Sri Lankan newspaper Daily Mirror reported.
Members of Parliament observed a minute`s silence in Rizana`s memory, the report said.
On January 6, Rajapaksa had requested Saudi Arabia`s King Abdullah to release Nafeek.
Yesterday, New York-based Human Rights Watch had also urged the King and the interior ministry to halt the execution of Nafeek.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch