Saudi Arabia executes Lankan maid for murdering infant
Colombo: Saudi Arabia has beheaded a Sri Lankan maid for killing a baby in her care in 2005, despite President Mahinda Rajapaksa`s call for a stay of the execution.
Rizana Nafeek, who was on death row on charges of having killed a four-month-old baby, was beheaded in the Dawadmi province near the capital Riyadh.
In 2007, Nafeek was convicted of the murder. She, however, denied the charges.
The Saudi Arabian government has gone ahead with her (Nafeek) execution despite assurances as late as last week from Sri Lanka`s Ambassador to Saudi Arabia that she would be released, Sri Lankan newspaper Daily Mirror reported.
Members of Parliament observed a minute`s silence in Rizana`s memory, the report said.
On January 6, Rajapaksa had requested Saudi Arabia`s King Abdullah to release Nafeek.
Yesterday, New York-based Human Rights Watch had also urged the King and the interior ministry to halt the execution of Nafeek.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister