SCO against interventionism: Chinese President
Beijing: The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) follows "new trends" in security and development to increase regional cooperation and fight interventionism, Chinese President Hu Jintao has said.
The SCO conforms to the current trends of peace and development and the common aspirations of all people in the region, Hu told reporters from six SCO member states ahead of its two-day summit starting on Wednesday here. Hu will chair the meeting.
Hu said the SCO has advocated a new security concept that allows its member states to firmly maintain their interests, explore development paths that are suited to their individual conditions and fight against "interventionism”.
The SCO will strengthen consultation and communication on issues related to the core interests of its member states and enhance coordination and cooperation on major international and regional issues, Xinhua quoted Hu as saying.
India on Tuesday renewed its pitch for full membership of the SCO and backed the grouping`s role in stabilising Afghanistan.
"Indeed, we are looking for full membership. India has conveyed its desire and earnestness in becoming a member of the SCO. We have made our intent known," India`s External Affairs Minister SM Krishna said.
Krishna arrived in Beijing on Tuesday night and will represent Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at the summit.
Founded in 2001, the SCO includes China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees