SCO against interventionism: Chinese President
Beijing: The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) follows "new trends" in security and development to increase regional cooperation and fight interventionism, Chinese President Hu Jintao has said.
The SCO conforms to the current trends of peace and development and the common aspirations of all people in the region, Hu told reporters from six SCO member states ahead of its two-day summit starting on Wednesday here. Hu will chair the meeting.
Hu said the SCO has advocated a new security concept that allows its member states to firmly maintain their interests, explore development paths that are suited to their individual conditions and fight against "interventionism”.
The SCO will strengthen consultation and communication on issues related to the core interests of its member states and enhance coordination and cooperation on major international and regional issues, Xinhua quoted Hu as saying.
India on Tuesday renewed its pitch for full membership of the SCO and backed the grouping`s role in stabilising Afghanistan.
"Indeed, we are looking for full membership. India has conveyed its desire and earnestness in becoming a member of the SCO. We have made our intent known," India`s External Affairs Minister SM Krishna said.
Krishna arrived in Beijing on Tuesday night and will represent Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at the summit.
Founded in 2001, the SCO includes China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why