Serbia: Six teenagers die fleeing nightclub fire
Belgrade: Six teenagers have died trying to escape a fire that engulfed a nightclub in northern Serbia, police said on Sunday.
"One of them was just half a meter from an exit," said senior police official Predrag Maric. "There must have been huge panic, they all rushed to get out."
The fire in the Contrast disco in the northern city of Novi Sad broke out around the stage area during a live performance around 2 am (0000 GMT), Predrag said. It quickly spread as some 350 people rushed to the exits in an attempt to flee the blaze.
He said that the victims were three boys and three girls, aged 17 to 18 years old, who most likely choked to death.
Two more people were injured, but their lives are not in danger, doctors said.
Maric said an investigation is underway to determine what caused the fire, adding that the "responsibility for the tragedy must be established”.
Authorities in Novi Sad said a day of mourning will be declared for the victims. Serbia`s President Boris Tadic has expressed condolences to the families in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- His LS constituency flooded, PM Modi deputes MP for help
- Cricket reforms: BCCI submits Compliance Report to Supreme Court-appointed Justice RM Lodha panel
- Hours-long attack on Kabul American university kills sixteen
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: Kuldeep's Yadav guile puts India Red in driver's seat
- How does smoke effect clouds in terms of climate? NASA flies to Africa to find out!