Shots fired near French embassy in Yemen
Paris: Shots were fired near the French embassy in Yemen on Tuesday, the foreign ministry said, after a car bomb attack on France`s embassy in Libya wounded two French guards and caused extensive damage.
France is watching the situation in the capital Sanaa "carefully", a ministry spokesman told AFP.
Paris stepped up security around its diplomatic missions after the bombing in Libya early Tuesday. French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius warned that the "terrorists" would pay, during a visit to Tripoli.
"This morning a person fired shots into the air near our embassy in Yemen," said a foreign ministry spokesman in Paris, adding that the Yemeni authorities had been informed of the incident.
"We will monitor security developments on the ground very carefully."
Libya is still plagued by insecurity following the 2011 ouster of long-time dictator Moammar Gaddafi. In Mali meanwhile, French forces are locked in a battle against Islamist extremists in the north of the country.
Security chief Mahmud al-Sherif said the blast occurred when a car parked outside the mission`s front door exploded at 7:10 am (0510 GMT).
The blast knocked down the wall surrounding the property and caused extensive damage to the embassy, with one French employee saying "there`s nothing left of my office".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!