Singapore court jails Lankan for killing her Indian lover
Singapore: A Singapore court has sentenced a former Sri Lankan domestic help to 10 years in jail for killing her Indian lover.
Tharmalingam Puwaneswary, a Sri Lankan national, was found guilty of striking the head of Murugaiyan Selvam, an Indian-origin man, with a five-kg dumb-bell following an argument in the victim`s house in December 2009, the Today newspaper reported Tuesday.
According the report, Selvam, a permanent resident of Singapore, would frequently pick up Puwaneswary, who was then working as a domestic help, from her employer`s house for sexual encounters in a hotel or in his bedroom in his company`s premises.
On that fateful night, an argument broke out between the two at Selvam`s place after which he slapped Puwaneswary twice.
After Selvam fell asleep, Puwaneswary saw the dumb-bell outside the room and used it to strike his head twice and then hit his groin area with a sharp object.
Defence lawyers said the act was not premeditated and that Selvan had used the Sri Lankan woman for money.
Puwaneswary had reportedly given Singapore $6,000 of her own money to Selvam, but the report did not give any details.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation