Six die in bomb blast in south Philippines
Manila: A powerful bomb apparently rigged to a vehicle exploded today during rush hour along a main road in a volatile southern Philippine city, killing at least six people and wounding 29 others, officials said.
Troops and police closed off the area along Sinsuat Avenue in Cotabato city as firefighters and ambulances arrived at the scene, where witnesses saw at least four people lay bloodied on the pavement as cars and buildings burned after the explosion, officials said.
Cotabato city, a bustling regional trading hub, has been targeted by Muslim insurgents in the past. Philippine authorities did not immediately point to any suspects, but government forces have been on alert in the southern region due to recent attacks and bombings by a breakaway Muslim rebel faction opposed to peace talks between a main insurgent group and the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up