SKorea urges `courage` from Japan on sex slaves
Kyoto: South Korean President Lee Myung-Bak
urged Japan on Sunday to have the "courage" to compensate ageing
wartime sex slaves before it is too late and let the two
nations` relationship progress.
Lee told Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda in Japan`s ancient
capital of Kyoto that the issue had prevented their countries
from becoming "true partners" in the years since World War II.
Japan, which insists the issue was legally settled four
decades ago, promised only that it would "think carefully"
from a humanitarian standpoint, but stopped well short of
offering a fresh apology, officials said.
"South Korea and Japan should become real partners for
peace and stability in this region," the visiting South Korean
"And for that to happen, we need to have the courage to
resolve as a priority the issue of military comfort women,
which has been a stumbling block between our countries," Lee
Comfort women, a euphemism used to describe women forced
into sexual slavery by Japanese troops before and during World
War II, came to widespread notice in the early 1990s when
ageing victims went public.
A dwindling band of women have since vociferously
demanded recompense and an apology from Japan, which imposed a
brutal occupation on the Korean peninsula between 1910 and
Last week supporters held their 1,000th weekly protest
outside the Japanese embassy in Seoul, unveiling a statue of a
young woman in traditional Korean dress who they said
represents the thousands of women forced to work in Japan`s
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video