Soldier beheaded in suspected terror attack in London
Zee Media Bureau
London: In a suspected terror attack, a soldier in London on Wednesday was beheaded in broad daylight with a machete.
According to reports, the attack took place near Woolwich street near a London army barracks.
The two suspects shot by the police after they killed the soldier are admitted in hospital and are said to be in critical condition.
10, Downing Street has called a meeting of the Government`s Cobra emergency committee after the incident, which Prime Minister David Cameron described as "truly shocking".
Senior police officers are thought to believe the killing was a politically-motivated Islamist terrorist attack and video has emerged that appears to show one of the alleged attackers attempting to justify the pair`s actions, the Telegraph reported.
Dozens of weapons - including a number of knives - and pools of blood could be seen on the ground, where a man wearing a Help for Heroes T-shirt is said to have been attacked by two men.
According BBC quoting senior Whitehall sources, the people carrying out the attack were heard saying `Allah hu Akbar` [God is Great].
Local MP Nick Raynsford said he had been told the man attacked on the street was a soldier serving at the Royal Artillery Barracks.
Whitehall sources have told the BBC it is "a fair supposition" that the incident was a terrorist incident but police have not commented publicly on the suggestion.
London Ambulance Service confirmed one man had been found dead at the scene. It said two men had been taken to hospital, one in a serious condition.
One of the men was airlifted from the scene, and another was taken away by road ambulance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...