Soldier beheaded in suspected terror attack in London
Zee Media Bureau
London: In a suspected terror attack, a soldier in London on Wednesday was beheaded in broad daylight with a machete.
According to reports, the attack took place near Woolwich street near a London army barracks.
The two suspects shot by the police after they killed the soldier are admitted in hospital and are said to be in critical condition.
10, Downing Street has called a meeting of the Government`s Cobra emergency committee after the incident, which Prime Minister David Cameron described as "truly shocking".
Senior police officers are thought to believe the killing was a politically-motivated Islamist terrorist attack and video has emerged that appears to show one of the alleged attackers attempting to justify the pair`s actions, the Telegraph reported.
Dozens of weapons - including a number of knives - and pools of blood could be seen on the ground, where a man wearing a Help for Heroes T-shirt is said to have been attacked by two men.
According BBC quoting senior Whitehall sources, the people carrying out the attack were heard saying `Allah hu Akbar` [God is Great].
Local MP Nick Raynsford said he had been told the man attacked on the street was a soldier serving at the Royal Artillery Barracks.
Whitehall sources have told the BBC it is "a fair supposition" that the incident was a terrorist incident but police have not commented publicly on the suggestion.
London Ambulance Service confirmed one man had been found dead at the scene. It said two men had been taken to hospital, one in a serious condition.
One of the men was airlifted from the scene, and another was taken away by road ambulance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city