South Africa: Five killed in helicopter crash
Johannesburg: The South African military says five air force members have died in the crash of a helicopter that was patrolling as part of an anti-rhino poaching operation.
The military said in a statement that the crash happened yesterday evening in South Africa`s Kruger National Park. It says the crew was among those killed.
The statement says the helicopter was on a scheduled patrol of the park and that an investigation is under way to determine the cause of the crash.
South Africa is struggling to stem rampant poaching of rhinos, whose horns are sold to buyers in Asia.
Rhino horn is made of keratin, a tough protein found in human fingernails. There`s a belief in Asia that ingesting ground-up horn cures diseases. However, no medical evidence supports that.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda