South Africa: Five killed in helicopter crash
Johannesburg: The South African military says five air force members have died in the crash of a helicopter that was patrolling as part of an anti-rhino poaching operation.
The military said in a statement that the crash happened yesterday evening in South Africa`s Kruger National Park. It says the crew was among those killed.
The statement says the helicopter was on a scheduled patrol of the park and that an investigation is under way to determine the cause of the crash.
South Africa is struggling to stem rampant poaching of rhinos, whose horns are sold to buyers in Asia.
Rhino horn is made of keratin, a tough protein found in human fingernails. There`s a belief in Asia that ingesting ground-up horn cures diseases. However, no medical evidence supports that.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali