‘Syria planting border mines to stop refugee flight`
Ankara: Syria has planted landmines near
its border with Turkey along routes used by refugees fleeing
the regime`s deadly crackdown on dissent, the Turkish deputy
prime minister said on Thursday.
"The Syrian administration has been planting mines,
taking measures not to allow refugees to flee to the other
side of the border," Besir Atalay said in televised remarks.
Atalay said the Syrian army was militarily intervening
in any attempt by the people fleeing the unrest. "Many have
lost their lives," he added.
The number of Syrians arriving at the Turkish border
is increasing daily. Around 1,000 Syrian refugees, including a
defecting general, flocked into Turkey in the last 24 hours,
the foreign ministry said Thursday.
According to monitoring groups, more than 8,000 people
have been killed in Syria, the majority of them civilians, in
a brutal crackdown on an anti-regime revolt that erupted a
year ago. (AFP)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- This is how Dr APJ Abdul Kalam looked when he was a kid!
- Govt reviews porn ban order, blocks only child pornography-related websites
- 'Idiots are lined up at every step': Young IAS officer's fight against sexual harassment
- Which Kapoor does Katrina like the most besides beau Ranbir?