Syria to use chemical arms against foreign attack
Beirut: Syria may use chemical weapons only in the case of external aggression, Syrian Foreign Ministry spokesman Jihad Makdissi said on Monday.
The official said in Damascus that Syria will never use chemical weapons against civilians, and stressed that the weapon stocks were secure.
There has been considerable concern that Syria`s chemical weapons could fall into hostile hands, in particular insurgents fighting the government, or be used by government troops to defend the regime.
According to Globalsecurity.org, the Syrian arsenal is said to consist mostly of large amounts of nerve agents Sarin and Tabun, and mustard gas.
The exact volumes of chemical weapons in the Syrian stockpile were not known.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report