Syria to use chemical arms against foreign attack
Beirut: Syria may use chemical weapons only in the case of external aggression, Syrian Foreign Ministry spokesman Jihad Makdissi said on Monday.
The official said in Damascus that Syria will never use chemical weapons against civilians, and stressed that the weapon stocks were secure.
There has been considerable concern that Syria`s chemical weapons could fall into hostile hands, in particular insurgents fighting the government, or be used by government troops to defend the regime.
According to Globalsecurity.org, the Syrian arsenal is said to consist mostly of large amounts of nerve agents Sarin and Tabun, and mustard gas.
The exact volumes of chemical weapons in the Syrian stockpile were not known.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference