Syria to use chemical arms against foreign attack
Beirut: Syria may use chemical weapons only in the case of external aggression, Syrian Foreign Ministry spokesman Jihad Makdissi said on Monday.
The official said in Damascus that Syria will never use chemical weapons against civilians, and stressed that the weapon stocks were secure.
There has been considerable concern that Syria`s chemical weapons could fall into hostile hands, in particular insurgents fighting the government, or be used by government troops to defend the regime.
According to Globalsecurity.org, the Syrian arsenal is said to consist mostly of large amounts of nerve agents Sarin and Tabun, and mustard gas.
The exact volumes of chemical weapons in the Syrian stockpile were not known.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet