Syria to use chemical arms against foreign attack
Beirut: Syria may use chemical weapons only in the case of external aggression, Syrian Foreign Ministry spokesman Jihad Makdissi said on Monday.
The official said in Damascus that Syria will never use chemical weapons against civilians, and stressed that the weapon stocks were secure.
There has been considerable concern that Syria`s chemical weapons could fall into hostile hands, in particular insurgents fighting the government, or be used by government troops to defend the regime.
According to Globalsecurity.org, the Syrian arsenal is said to consist mostly of large amounts of nerve agents Sarin and Tabun, and mustard gas.
The exact volumes of chemical weapons in the Syrian stockpile were not known.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Hillary Clinton holds lead over Donald Trump, but trails him among white voters: poll
- Sensitive data on India's Scorpene submarines leaked
- Second US service member killed in Afghanistan in 2016
- 8 out of 10 French do not want Nicolas Sarkozy back
- EU justice ministers vow to tackle growing radicalisation in Europe