Syria to use chemical arms against foreign attack
Beirut: Syria may use chemical weapons only in the case of external aggression, Syrian Foreign Ministry spokesman Jihad Makdissi said on Monday.
The official said in Damascus that Syria will never use chemical weapons against civilians, and stressed that the weapon stocks were secure.
There has been considerable concern that Syria`s chemical weapons could fall into hostile hands, in particular insurgents fighting the government, or be used by government troops to defend the regime.
According to Globalsecurity.org, the Syrian arsenal is said to consist mostly of large amounts of nerve agents Sarin and Tabun, and mustard gas.
The exact volumes of chemical weapons in the Syrian stockpile were not known.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog