Syrian Army targetted rebels in Tremseh massacre: UN
Damascus: The Syrian Government`s attack on Tremseh village mainly targeted the homes of rebels and activists, the UN mission in the country has said.
According to the BBC, the UN mission said that heavy weaponry, including artillery and mortars, were used to attack the rebels.
A UN spokeswoman issued a statement after observers visited the site, in which at least 200 people are said to have died.
"A wide range of weapons were used, including artillery, mortars and small arms," UN spokeswoman Sausan Ghosheh said in a statement.
"The attack on Tremseh appeared targeted at specific groups and houses, mainly of Army defectors and activist,” Ghosheh added.
The use of such weapons is in violation with a commitment to the UN and Arab League special envoy Kofi Annan by the Syrian authorities, the report said.
The attack on Tremseh sparked international condemnation, but the Syrian Government has insisted that the massacre was a military operation against rebels. The government said its armed forces carried out a special operation after tip-offs from local people about large numbers of armed rebels operating from hideouts in the village.
Annan was among those who reacted angrily to the killings, saying he was "shocked and appalled".
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said the attack cast "serious doubt" on Syrian President Bashar al-Assad`s commitment to the peace plan. US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton suggested the Syrian Army had "deliberately murdered civilians" in Tremseh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information