Syrian Army targetted rebels in Tremseh massacre: UN
Damascus: The Syrian Government`s attack on Tremseh village mainly targeted the homes of rebels and activists, the UN mission in the country has said.
According to the BBC, the UN mission said that heavy weaponry, including artillery and mortars, were used to attack the rebels.
A UN spokeswoman issued a statement after observers visited the site, in which at least 200 people are said to have died.
"A wide range of weapons were used, including artillery, mortars and small arms," UN spokeswoman Sausan Ghosheh said in a statement.
"The attack on Tremseh appeared targeted at specific groups and houses, mainly of Army defectors and activist,” Ghosheh added.
The use of such weapons is in violation with a commitment to the UN and Arab League special envoy Kofi Annan by the Syrian authorities, the report said.
The attack on Tremseh sparked international condemnation, but the Syrian Government has insisted that the massacre was a military operation against rebels. The government said its armed forces carried out a special operation after tip-offs from local people about large numbers of armed rebels operating from hideouts in the village.
Annan was among those who reacted angrily to the killings, saying he was "shocked and appalled".
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said the attack cast "serious doubt" on Syrian President Bashar al-Assad`s commitment to the peace plan. US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton suggested the Syrian Army had "deliberately murdered civilians" in Tremseh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid