Syrian rebels seize Turkey, Iraq border posts
Damascus: Syrian rebels have taken control of a number of crossings on the country’s borders with Turkey and Iraq.
According to The BBC, a senior Iraqi official said all crossings on Syria’s eastern frontier have been seized. The move comes a day after a blast claimed lives of three senior defence officials in Damascus.
The rebels, perhaps, sensing that the regime is too preoccupied with the escalating battle for control of the Syrian capital, stormed all posts on the Iraqi border, the report said.
Iraq’s Government, seen as sympathetic to President Bashar al-Assad, has threatened to shut its border. One official said that Baghdad was closing the Abu Kamal Crossing.
On the frontier with Turkey, too, rebels were said to have taken control of two posts, at Bab al-Hawa and Jarablus. The UK, US and France said the UN had failed the people of Syria. British Foreign Secretary William Hague condemned the use of the veto as "inexcusable and indefensible".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...