Syrian situation dangerous: French FM
Beirut: Visiting French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said on Friday that the situation in Syria is "very dangerous" and expressed hope that Lebanon will not be affected by the Syrian crisis, the National News Agency reported.
Fabius wrapped up his two-day visit to Lebanon on Friday. He said at Beirut Rafik Hariri International airport before leaving for Turkey that "the situation in Syria is very dangerous, and Lebanon must remain balanced”.
"The latest incidents in Lebanon facilitate the spillover of the Syrian crisis, but we hope to find a solution to this situation," he said.
The al-Meqdad clan has kidnapped several Syrians in retaliation to the abduction of a family member, Hassan al-Meqdad, by rebels in Syria earlier this week.
Fabius had stressed during his meetings with Lebanese officials France’s ongoing "economic and cultural cooperation" with Lebanon as well as its "commitment to Lebanon’s unity and sovereignty”.
"We hope that events in Syria do not negatively affect Lebanon. Lebanon’s unity is very precious, and France supports the Lebanese cabinet’s efforts to distance the country from Syrian events," he said.
Fabius said that he also addressed the issue of Syrian refugees in Lebanon during his meetings in Beirut, and said he appreciated the Higher Relief Council and other organisations`` efforts to help the refugees.
Lebanon has taken in around 38,000 refugees from the conflict across the border in Syria, which erupted in March last year.
During his stay, Fabius has met with Lebanese President Michel Suleiman, House Speaker Nabih Berri, Prime Minister Najib Miqati and Foreign Minister Adnan Mansour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song