Syrian situation dangerous: French FM
Beirut: Visiting French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said on Friday that the situation in Syria is "very dangerous" and expressed hope that Lebanon will not be affected by the Syrian crisis, the National News Agency reported.
Fabius wrapped up his two-day visit to Lebanon on Friday. He said at Beirut Rafik Hariri International airport before leaving for Turkey that "the situation in Syria is very dangerous, and Lebanon must remain balanced”.
"The latest incidents in Lebanon facilitate the spillover of the Syrian crisis, but we hope to find a solution to this situation," he said.
The al-Meqdad clan has kidnapped several Syrians in retaliation to the abduction of a family member, Hassan al-Meqdad, by rebels in Syria earlier this week.
Fabius had stressed during his meetings with Lebanese officials France’s ongoing "economic and cultural cooperation" with Lebanon as well as its "commitment to Lebanon’s unity and sovereignty”.
"We hope that events in Syria do not negatively affect Lebanon. Lebanon’s unity is very precious, and France supports the Lebanese cabinet’s efforts to distance the country from Syrian events," he said.
Fabius said that he also addressed the issue of Syrian refugees in Lebanon during his meetings in Beirut, and said he appreciated the Higher Relief Council and other organisations`` efforts to help the refugees.
Lebanon has taken in around 38,000 refugees from the conflict across the border in Syria, which erupted in March last year.
During his stay, Fabius has met with Lebanese President Michel Suleiman, House Speaker Nabih Berri, Prime Minister Najib Miqati and Foreign Minister Adnan Mansour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das