Syrian tanks attacked observer convoy: UN Chief
United Nations: Syrian tanks attacked a convoy carrying the head of the UN observer mission, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said on Monday.
He again told the government to halt its violent crackdown on those fighting to overthrow President Bashar Assad`s regime.
"Yesterday, the convoy of Lt General Babacar Gaye was attacked by armed tanks. Fortunately, there were no injuries," Ban told reporters.
He said a dozen armoured vehicles used by the observers have been destroyed by blasts and shelling.
The UN observer mission`s latest 30-day mandate is due to expire in August. The mission has largely been sidelined by the violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA