Syrian troops fire on sit-ins: Activists
Beirut: Activists say Syrian troops have opened fire on demonstrators holding sit-ins in two parts of the country, killing one and wounding at least 20.
The Local Coordination Committees group says the troops fired late Friday upon scores of protesters who been camped out in the central square of the northern town of Saraqeb for eight days. The British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reports at least 20 were wounded.
Both groups also report attacks by troops on Saturday on another sit-in in the restive central city of Homs, during which at least one person was killed.
The crackdowns follow a blast in the capital Damascus that killed 25 people on Friday. Syria`s Interior Ministry said after the blast that it would respond to security threats with an "iron fist”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Panel discussion over why opposition stopped PM Modi from speaking?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug