Tanzania building collapse toll reaches 20
Dar es Salaam (Tanzania): The number of people killed in the 16-storey under construction building collapse in the Tanzanian city of Dar es Salaam has risen to 20, police said Saturday.
The building, situated at the junction of Indira Gandhi Street and Morogoro Road in this commercial capital city, crumbled Friday morning. Initial reports stated three deaths and over 60 people as trapped.
At least 17 bodies were recovered from the building`s rubble between Friday night and Saturday afternoon as rescue work to locate survivers continued, Xinhua quoted Dar es Salaam special zone commander Suleiman Kova as saying.
More bodies were expected from the debris as rescuers from various institutions, including the Tanzania People`s Defence Forces, police and the Tanzania Red Cross Society, had been working round the clock, the official said.
The victims included construction workers, beggars staying near the building,children and passers-by, he added.
Many young children attending a Muslim school near the building were still unaccounted for, local media reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Christians should ask gay community for forgiveness for past treatment: Pope Francis
- Can you SPOT Aamir Khan in this picture? SEE inside
- 7th Pay Commission: Non-performing govt employees to not get annual increment
- Tri-Nation series final: Mitchell Marsh, Josh Hazlewood guide Australia to 58-run win over West Indies
- History on line as Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer get Wimbledon under way