Tibetan monk self-immolates at French monastery
London: A 38-year-old British man has become the first Western Tibetan Buddhist monk to die by self-immolation at a monastery in southwestern France.
Tonden, 38, whose name at birth was David Alain, doused his head and clothes with petrol, and set himself on fire at the monastery on Thursday evening.
Monks and local police said they were unsure whether Tonden had been depressed and committed suicide or that it was a political statement, the Telegraph reports.
According to the paper, Tonden died on the day that the Chinese Communist Party enacted its once-in-a-decade leadership change, with Xi Jinping taking over from Hu Jintao.
In the past week alone, at least nine Tibetans were reported to have self-immolated in protest at what they say is religious and cultural repression by the Chinese authorities.
In all, 74 Tibetans have now set themselves on fire since 2009 demanding freedom and the return of the Dalai Lama, who has been in exile since 1959.
Tonden was keenly aware of the Dalai Lama`s plight, having met the spiritual leader last year when he visited the monastery, the paper said.
He also met the Dalai Lama`s sister in September when she came to Nalanda and its nearby meditation centre, Vajra Yogini, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan