Tokyo governor to give up one-year salary as punishment
Tokyo: Naoki Inose, governor of Japan`s capital city of Tokyo, said he will give up his next year salary as a "penance" for accepting money from Tokushukai hospital, according to media report.
Inose pledged at a general committee session of the Tokyo Metropolitan Assembly set up to question the scandal that Inose accepted 50 million yen ($485,250) ahead of his election last December, reports Xinhua.
Inose, 67, also apologised to the assembly members, and Tokyo residents for his misconduct, adding that he feels responsible for making sure preparations for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics do not get bogged down.
Tokushukai hospital has been linked to alleged vote-buying on behalf of lower house member Takeshi Tokuda in the December 2012 lower house election.
Inose apologized Nov 29 to the assembly for accepting money, but the assembly`s largest factions said questioning in regular sessions was insufficient to bring him to account for his actions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bodos, ex-militants hail Modi govt for giving ST status to Bodo-Kacharis in Assam's hill districts
- South Korean navy fires warning shots after North incursion
- Trump lays claim to Republican presidential nomination
- Rights activist Trupti Desai alleges attack by goons in Nashik, hospitalised
- CHSE Odisha +2 Result (CHSE result 2016) Exam Results 2016 likely to be declared shortly. Check chseodisha.nic.in, orissaresults.nic.in