Train hits truck in South Africa, 30 people killed
Johannesburg: At least 30 people were killed on Friday when a train collided with a truck carrying dozens of farm workers in South Africa`s Mpumalanga province.
The truck carrying about 50 farm workers reportedly crossed onto the tracks and collided with a high-speed train. The truck was split in two by the impact.
"There are pieces of bodies scattered over a two-kilometre area as the train dragged the truck in its path before it could come to a halt," a paramedic said.
Thulani Sibuyi, head of Mpumalanga province`s community safety department, confirmed that at least 30 people were killed in the accident while scores of others were being taken to various hospitals across the province.
Mpumalanga is South Africa`s greenest province, with fruit farms scattered throughout the area.
The workers were apparently on their way to work to pick the citrus fruit which is now in season and for which the area is renowned.
The accident occurred on the main line linking South Africa with neighbouring Mozambique.
Paramedics on the scene described the train crash as one of the worst they have ever seen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics