Tunisian PM threatens to resign
Moscow: Tunisian Prime Minister Hamadi Jebali warned that he would resign if his Islamist Ennahda party kept opposing his plans of the cabinet shake-up, Al Arabiya reported Monday.
Jebali earlier voiced plans to form an independent cabinet of experts in an effort to solve the political crisis, which was sparked by last week`s assassination of a prominent secular opposition leader, Shokri Belaid.
His Ennahda political party, however, warned that it would take to the streets to support the party`s right to govern in the country following its sweeping victory in October 2011 election.
Jebali also said that although he could resign from the post of the country`s prime minister, he was not intending to quit the post of Ennahda`s secretary general.
"I will not quit Ennahda, it is a respected party and I grew up with it, but I will be sad if Ennahda decides to expel me," Al Arabiya quoted Jabali as saying.
The premier added that the murder of Belaid was aimed to destabilize the situation in the country and divide people.
"The bullets that were fired against Shokri Belaid were aimed at the Tunisian Revolution," he said.
Thousands gathered for Belaid`s funeral Friday amid a nationwide general strike called by his trade union supporters.
The Ennahda party pushed its supporters to stage a pro-government rally on Saturday in response to a wave of mass anti-government protests in Tunisia provoked by Belaid`s killing.
Belaid`s family accused the Ennahda party of responsibility for his assassination. The Islamist party has denied any complicity in the killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Sachin Saga: Tendulkar set to appear in world of digital gaming
- I share a good rapport with team members: Anil Kumble
- Sonia to flag off bus yatra to UP on July 23
- MS Dhoni to mentor talent with Craig McDermott's cricket academy in Australia
- Gujarat Dalit flogging incident: Four police officials suspended, says Rajnath Singh