Twin Iraq suicide bombings kill 10: Officials
Kirkuk (Iraq): Two suicide bombers blew themselves up inside a tent packed with protesters in north Iraq on Tuesday, killing at least 10 people and wounding 55 others, officials said.
The attackers struck at around mid-day in the ethnically- mixed town of Tuz Khurmatu, interim town mayor Talib al-Bayati said. A doctor confirmed the toll.
Among the dead were a former deputy provincial governor and his two sons.
The protesters had been rallying over poor security in the town, which is regularly hit with attacks.
Tuz Khurmatu lies within a tract of territory that Iraqi Kurdistan wants to incorporate into its three-province region over Baghdad`s objections.
The unresolved dispute over the territory, which stretches from Iraq`s eastern border with Iran to its western frontier with Syria, is cited by diplomats as one of the biggest threats to the country`s long-term stability.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal