Twin Iraq suicide bombings kill 10: Officials
Kirkuk (Iraq): Two suicide bombers blew themselves up inside a tent packed with protesters in north Iraq on Tuesday, killing at least 10 people and wounding 55 others, officials said.
The attackers struck at around mid-day in the ethnically- mixed town of Tuz Khurmatu, interim town mayor Talib al-Bayati said. A doctor confirmed the toll.
Among the dead were a former deputy provincial governor and his two sons.
The protesters had been rallying over poor security in the town, which is regularly hit with attacks.
Tuz Khurmatu lies within a tract of territory that Iraqi Kurdistan wants to incorporate into its three-province region over Baghdad`s objections.
The unresolved dispute over the territory, which stretches from Iraq`s eastern border with Iran to its western frontier with Syria, is cited by diplomats as one of the biggest threats to the country`s long-term stability.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections