Two anti-al Qaeda women gunned down in Iraq
Baghdad: The wife and daughter of an anti-al Qaeda leader in Iraq were on Saturday gunned down inside their house, Xinhua reported.
Gunmen stormed the house of Sheikh Dhiyab Mahmoud, leader of the government-backed Awakening Council in Grama town near Fallujah, around 50 km from Baghdad, a police official said.
The attackers shot dead Mahmoud`s wife and daughter. Mahmoud was not at home at the time of the attack, the official said.
The Awakening Council -- also known as Sons of Iraq movement or Sahwa -- comprises mostly of anti-US Sunni groups, who later turned against the al Qaeda.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed