Two security officers killed in Yemen, al Qaeda suspected
Aden: Two senior Yemeni security officers were killed in separate attacks in Yemen`s southeastern province of Hadramout early Sunday, a government official told Xinhua.
"Attackers suspected of belonging to the Al Qaeda terrorist group killed a senior security officer by gunfire and an intelligence officer in an ambush in different areas in Hadramout province," the government official said on condition of anonymity.
The senior security officer was travelling in his own car when he came under a hail of bullets northwest of Hadramout and the intelligence officer was ambushed by "terrorists" in Ghail Bawazir region, he said.
An al Qaeda suicide car bomber Friday stormed a military base in Yemen`s southern province of Abyan, killing at least 15 soldiers and injuring dozens of others.
Yemeni security services have repeatedly blamed militants of the Yemen-based al Qaeda offshoot for a series of attacks, mostly in the country`s southern regions.
The Yemen-based al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, which emerged in January 2009, is considered the most strategic threat to the Yemeni government and neighbouring oil rich Saudi Arabia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray