Two Shia clerics killed in Iraq drive-by shooting
Baghdad: Two Shia clerics were gunned down by unidentified gunmen in a drive-by shooting in Baghdad Friday, a police source said.
Sheikh Arif Abdul Razak, Imam of al-Shorouq mosque in the Shaab district northeast of Baghdad, was killed after he left the mosque by unidentified assailants, the source told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.
Another cleric accompanying him was also killed in the incident, he said.
Earlier in the day, insurgents using silenced weapons opened fire on another cleric in eastern Baghdad`s eastern district of Mustinsaria, wounding him and killing his driver, the source added.
Sunni insurgents in Iraq have been blamed for series of attacks on Shia Muslims in recent years. The attacks are believed to have undermined the Shia-led government and reignited sectarian tensions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city