Two trains collide in Belgrade, 22 injured
Belgrade: Two trains collided Thursday in a tunnel on the outskirts of the Serbian capital city, injuring at least 22 people, Xinhua reported.
The accident took place at 1.30 p.m., when a passenger train from Belgrade to Sid stopped inside the tunnel due to engine failure at 1.25 pm.
Some five minutes later, another train travelling from Belgrade to Novi Sad smashed into it from the rear.
The driver of the second train was seriously injured in the collision, but most of the injured passengers were from the first train.
"It was great luck that the driver of the first train did not block the wheels, otherwise much more passengers would be injured," Dragan Jovanovic, a guardian of the tunnel, who helped in the evacuation, told Xinhua.
"People were stuck in the last wagon, and we helped them to cross to the next one and everybody was out in 30 minutes," he said.
A team of 39 firefighters and medical staff of six ambulance units were involved in the rescue mission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video