Two trains collide in Belgrade, 22 injured
Belgrade: Two trains collided Thursday in a tunnel on the outskirts of the Serbian capital city, injuring at least 22 people, Xinhua reported.
The accident took place at 1.30 p.m., when a passenger train from Belgrade to Sid stopped inside the tunnel due to engine failure at 1.25 pm.
Some five minutes later, another train travelling from Belgrade to Novi Sad smashed into it from the rear.
The driver of the second train was seriously injured in the collision, but most of the injured passengers were from the first train.
"It was great luck that the driver of the first train did not block the wheels, otherwise much more passengers would be injured," Dragan Jovanovic, a guardian of the tunnel, who helped in the evacuation, told Xinhua.
"People were stuck in the last wagon, and we helped them to cross to the next one and everybody was out in 30 minutes," he said.
A team of 39 firefighters and medical staff of six ambulance units were involved in the rescue mission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez