UK ‘gay couples’ given green light for church weddings
London: British gay couples have given the green light to marry in churches under new plans due to be unveiled by the UK Government next week.
The decision represents a major u-turn on the position set out in a formal UK Government consultation earlier this year, which proposed a blanket ban.
It also raises the prospect of a major battle between church and state over the issue as well as a massive backbench rebellion with at least 130 Conservatives set to vote against the proposals, The Telegraph reports.
According to the paper, the plans will be announced by the Culture Secretary Maria Miller next week and a detailed bill is expected to be put before Parliament next month.
The shift in policy came after Government lawyers came up with plans for "multiple lock" legal protections for churches, mosques and synagogues which do not want to marry gay couples on grounds of belief, the paper said.
“I am a massive supporter of marriage and I don`t want gay people to be excluded from a great institution. But let me be absolutely one hundred per cent clear, if there is any church or any synagogue or any mosque that doesn`t want to have a gay marriage it will not, absolutely must not, be forced to hold,” David Cameron has said.
“That is absolutely clear in the legislation. Also let me make clear, this is a free vote for Members of Parliament but personally I will be supporting it,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad