UK terror suspects travelled to Pak for training: Report
London: Two terror suspects, who allegedly plotted suicide bombings in Britain, have been accused of travelling to Pakistan for terrorist training, making suicide videos and buying chemicals to make home-made bombs.
Al Qaeda suspects Irfan Naseer and Irfan Khalid from Birmingham were under surveillance by MI5 for weeks before their arrest in September 2011 and were heard discussing their plans in bugged conversations, a jury was told during their ongoing trial at Woolwich Crown Court on Friday.
It was only after their arrest that Ashik Ali, a co-defendant accused of being part of their plans, told police that they planned to kill soldiers.
"This was, as Khalid put it, `revenge for everything` and `another 9/11` that would be celebrated on its anniversary day," said prosecutor Brian Altman.
"If Ali was telling the truth in interview then the plan was for him and the others to don suicide vests or jackets and rucksack bombs and to carry and use guns to kill British soldiers in April or May 2012," he added.
Ali told police he had noticed a change in the other two men when they returned from Pakistan in July 2011 but still did not believe they would go through with their plan, according to The Daily Telegraph.
Naseer and Khalid have told the jury they were only boasting to Ali in order to scare off gangsters who were threatening them.
Altman said their defences were "contradictory, contrived, perverse and deliberately dishonest".
Jonathan Whitfeld, arguing for Naseer, said his client was an "overweight, lazy mummy`s boy" obsessed with "food and farting" who would have been a "rubbish terrorist".
Naseer, 31, Khalid 27, and Ali, 27, all unemployed, deny charges of terrorist fundraising, recruiting others and planning a terrorist bombing campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video