UK to announce 1-bn-pound Nuke sub deal
London: In a major push to build next generation nuclear submarines, Britain is all set to announce this week a 1 billion pound (USD 1.57 billion) contract, the Defence Minister said on Sunday.
As per the confirmation given by Defence Secretary Philip Hammond, a deal for engines, that would replace the current Vanguard fleet carrying Trident nuclear missiles, would be unveiled by him.
There is a high possibility that the decision could cause a new rift in Britain`s coalition government, with Prime Minister David Cameron`s Conservatives in favour of keeping Trident but the Liberal Democrats wanting a cheaper alternative.
"What we`re going to be announcing is a commitment to the major refurbishment of the plant at Rolls-Royce in Derby which builds these core reactors, not just for the nuclear deterrent submarines but also for our attack submarines, the Astute class submarines," Hammond said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway