UK to announce 1-bn-pound Nuke sub deal
London: In a major push to build next generation nuclear submarines, Britain is all set to announce this week a 1 billion pound (USD 1.57 billion) contract, the Defence Minister said on Sunday.
As per the confirmation given by Defence Secretary Philip Hammond, a deal for engines, that would replace the current Vanguard fleet carrying Trident nuclear missiles, would be unveiled by him.
There is a high possibility that the decision could cause a new rift in Britain`s coalition government, with Prime Minister David Cameron`s Conservatives in favour of keeping Trident but the Liberal Democrats wanting a cheaper alternative.
"What we`re going to be announcing is a commitment to the major refurbishment of the plant at Rolls-Royce in Derby which builds these core reactors, not just for the nuclear deterrent submarines but also for our attack submarines, the Astute class submarines," Hammond said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price