UK to announce 1-bn-pound Nuke sub deal
London: In a major push to build next generation nuclear submarines, Britain is all set to announce this week a 1 billion pound (USD 1.57 billion) contract, the Defence Minister said on Sunday.
As per the confirmation given by Defence Secretary Philip Hammond, a deal for engines, that would replace the current Vanguard fleet carrying Trident nuclear missiles, would be unveiled by him.
There is a high possibility that the decision could cause a new rift in Britain`s coalition government, with Prime Minister David Cameron`s Conservatives in favour of keeping Trident but the Liberal Democrats wanting a cheaper alternative.
"What we`re going to be announcing is a commitment to the major refurbishment of the plant at Rolls-Royce in Derby which builds these core reactors, not just for the nuclear deterrent submarines but also for our attack submarines, the Astute class submarines," Hammond said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Camera Day: Celebrate the art of photography and go click-happy!