UK to announce 1-bn-pound Nuke sub deal
London: In a major push to build next generation nuclear submarines, Britain is all set to announce this week a 1 billion pound (USD 1.57 billion) contract, the Defence Minister said on Sunday.
As per the confirmation given by Defence Secretary Philip Hammond, a deal for engines, that would replace the current Vanguard fleet carrying Trident nuclear missiles, would be unveiled by him.
There is a high possibility that the decision could cause a new rift in Britain`s coalition government, with Prime Minister David Cameron`s Conservatives in favour of keeping Trident but the Liberal Democrats wanting a cheaper alternative.
"What we`re going to be announcing is a commitment to the major refurbishment of the plant at Rolls-Royce in Derby which builds these core reactors, not just for the nuclear deterrent submarines but also for our attack submarines, the Astute class submarines," Hammond said.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shrinking US presence in Afghanistan creates security concerns: Report
- Bangladesh pacer Shahadat Hossain apologizes for torturing 11-year-old girl, asks for end to ban
- Bipasha Basu, Karan Singh Grover's special YOGA session before wedding!
- Vijay Mallya says keen on paying up dues, but Rs 9000 default figure artificially inflated
- Tiananmen activist Lu Jinghua alleges 'India-China economic business deal' behind visa cancellation