Ukraine situation `deteriorating`, Merkel, Putin agree
Moscow: Russian President Vladimir Putin and German Chancellor Angela Merkel agreed in talks in Brazil on Sunday that the situation in Ukraine, where Kiev is continuing an offensive against pro-Russian separatists in the east, is "deteriorating", the Kremlin said.
"Putin and Merkel had a constructive, very thorough dialogue during which they discussed in detail possible options for resolving the situation in Ukraine," Kremlin spokesman Dmitri Peskov told the Russian news agency Ria Novosti. "The two leaders agreed that unfortunately the situation is deteriorating."
They also "stressed the need for the urgent resumption of a contact group on Ukraine, possibly via videoconference," Peskov said.
"According to (Putin and Merkel), for this to happen there needs to be a statement as soon as possible concerning a ceasefire, a prisoner exchange, and the return of (international) monitors" in eastern Ukraine, he added.
The talks between the two leaders came as fresh clashes between pro-Russian separatists and Ukrainian forces killed 18 civilians and forced Kiev`s new Western-backed President Petro Poroshenko to cancel a crucial meeting with Putin at the World Cup in Brazil.
Over three months of fighting in Ukraine`s restive east have claimed more than 550 lives so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi