UN chief urges countries to ratify CTBT
United Nations: Referring to countries like
India, China and Pakistan, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon
has called on nations to ratify the Comprehensive Nuclear Test
Ban Treaty (CTBT) saying he is counting upon the "engaged
leadership" of the remaining countries to bring the treaty
Ban`s remarks came as he welcomed Indonesia`s ratification
of the CTBT, encouraging the remaining countries that have not
yet done so to sign and ratify the instrument to advance its
entry into force.
"The Secretary-General encourages all States that have not
yet done so to sign and ratify the treaty and is counting upon
the engaged leadership of the remaining eight States," his
spokesperson said in a statement.
Indonesia is one of the so-called Annex 2 States, whose
ratification is required for the treaty to come into force.
The countries in that group that have yet to ratify are
China, Korea, Egypt, India, Iran, Israel, Pakistan and the US.
The treaty bans all nuclear explosions.
As of today, 182 countries have signed the CTBT.
Once Indonesia deposits its instrument of ratification,
the total number of ratifying nations will stand at 156,
including 36 from the Annex 2 group.
Head of the Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive
Nuclear Test Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO) Tibor Toth said
with Indonesia`s decision to ratify, "the gap keeping the
treaty from entering into force has been narrowed down to
Indonesia`s House of Representatives ratified the treaty
At a high-level meeting in September, Ban had urged all
remaining nations to "seize the moment" and sign and ratify
the CTBT, with the aim of bringing it into force by 2012.
"We know that a comprehensive ban on nuclear tests is an
indispensable stepping stone to a nuclear-weapon-free world",
he had said.
"My message is clear: Do not wait for others to move
first. Take the initiative. Lead. The time for waiting has
passed", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan