UN chief urges countries to ratify CTBT
United Nations: Referring to countries like
India, China and Pakistan, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon
has called on nations to ratify the Comprehensive Nuclear Test
Ban Treaty (CTBT) saying he is counting upon the "engaged
leadership" of the remaining countries to bring the treaty
Ban`s remarks came as he welcomed Indonesia`s ratification
of the CTBT, encouraging the remaining countries that have not
yet done so to sign and ratify the instrument to advance its
entry into force.
"The Secretary-General encourages all States that have not
yet done so to sign and ratify the treaty and is counting upon
the engaged leadership of the remaining eight States," his
spokesperson said in a statement.
Indonesia is one of the so-called Annex 2 States, whose
ratification is required for the treaty to come into force.
The countries in that group that have yet to ratify are
China, Korea, Egypt, India, Iran, Israel, Pakistan and the US.
The treaty bans all nuclear explosions.
As of today, 182 countries have signed the CTBT.
Once Indonesia deposits its instrument of ratification,
the total number of ratifying nations will stand at 156,
including 36 from the Annex 2 group.
Head of the Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive
Nuclear Test Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO) Tibor Toth said
with Indonesia`s decision to ratify, "the gap keeping the
treaty from entering into force has been narrowed down to
Indonesia`s House of Representatives ratified the treaty
At a high-level meeting in September, Ban had urged all
remaining nations to "seize the moment" and sign and ratify
the CTBT, with the aim of bringing it into force by 2012.
"We know that a comprehensive ban on nuclear tests is an
indispensable stepping stone to a nuclear-weapon-free world",
he had said.
"My message is clear: Do not wait for others to move
first. Take the initiative. Lead. The time for waiting has
passed", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- She's a bae! Priyanka Chopra to get special poster for 'Baywatch'
- Foreign Investors buoyed by Indian investment: USIBC to Obama
- Check Mahresults.nic.in & hscresult.mkcl.org for class 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board, MSBSHSE today at 1 PM