UN condemns terror attack in Kenya
United Nations: UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon condemned Sunday`s attack on Kenya`s eastern town of Mpeketoni that killed at least 48 people, a media report said Tuesday.
"The secretary-general reiterates the solidarity of the UN with the people and government of Kenya in their struggle against terrorism," Xinhua quoted a statement issued by Ban`s spokesman as saying.
"He trusts the authorities will do all in their power to bring the perpetrators to justice in a manner that is fully respectful of Kenya`s human rights obligations."
"The secretary-general extends his condolences to the families of the deceased and the government of Kenya and wishes the wounded a swift recovery," the statement said.
Witnesses said around 50 armed attackers with explosives stormed the busy eastern coastal town in vehicles, shooting at the residents.
Mpeketoni is now like a ghost town as many residents are still not back home after they took cover in the bushes, they said.
The Somalian Islamist militant group Al-Shabaab Monday claimed responsibility for the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’