UN rights resolution on Syria beyond mandate: Russia
Moscow: The UN Human Rights Council resolution on the Houla massacre in Syria goes beyond its mandate and contradicts the May 27 UN Security Council statement, the Russian foreign ministry has said.
The Houla massacre (May 25-26) led to worldwide condemnation of the Syrian government. The incident involved killing of over 100 people, including dozens of children and women, in a cluster of villages in Syria`s Homs province.
At an emergency session May 27, the UNSC condemned "in the strongest possible terms" the massacre of civilians. On June 1, on the initiative of western nations, the UN Human Rights Council convened a special session to condemn solely the Syrian government for the tragedy.
On Sunday, in its reaction the Russian foreign ministry said: "The text of the UN Human Rights Council resolution goes beyond its mandate and actually runs counter to the UN Security Council Statement of May 27."
"The attempts by some countries to name the culprits without waiting for the findings of the United Nations Supervision Mission in Syria (UNSMIS) regarding the Houla events and therefore exert pressure on the UN Security Council, and also exploit the tragedy in their own interests and foil the implementation of the plan of the UN and LAS special envoy Kofi Annan, cause very serious concerns," the statement said.
"Our country speaks against involving the UN Human Rights Council for `triggering` a use-of-force scenario in Syria," the statement said.
The final resolution adopted by the UN Human Rights Council denounced "solely the (Syrian) government" for the massacre.
Russia, and also China and Cuba, voted against this resolution because the text of this document is imbalanced, biased and contains a number of one-sided assessments.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended