UN seeks inquiry into Rakhine violence in Myanmar
Burma: UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay has called for an independent investigation after claims of abuses by security forces in Myanmar`s Rakhine state.
According to The BBC, Pillay said that forces sent to quash violence in the northern state were reported to be targeting Muslims.
The UN refugee agency (UNHCR) said that about 80,000 people have been displaced following inter-communal violence.
The agency said most of those displaced are living in camps and more tents are being airlifted in to help them.
The latest violence in Rakhine began in May when a Buddhist ethnic Rakhine woman was raped and murdered by three Muslims.
On June 03, an unidentified mob killed 10 Muslims.
Pillay`s office said that since then at least 78 people have been killed in ensuing violence but unofficial estimates are higher.
"We have been receiving a stream of reports from independent sources alleging discriminatory and arbitrary responses by security forces, and even their instigation of and involvement in clashes," Pillay, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, said.
"Reports indicate that the initial swift response of the authorities to the communal violence may have turned into a crackdown targeting Muslims, in particular members of the Rohingya community," Pillay added.
She welcomed a government decision to allow a UN envoy access to Rakhine state next week, but said it was "no substitute for a fully-fledged independent investigation".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof