UN urges more aid for Philippine typhoon recovery
Manila: UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon urged the international community today to ramp up aid for the Philippines` typhoon reconstruction, saying "we must not allow this to be another forgotten crisis."
Ban met with key ambassadors stationed in Manila at the end of his three-day visit and urged donor countries to provide more aid in the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan, which hit the central Philippines on November 8, killing at least 6,100 people and leaving nearly 1,800 others missing.
Entire villages were flattened by Haiyan`s ferocious winds and the tsunami-like storm surge that damaged or swept away more than a million homes and injured 27,000 people.
The UN is raising USD 791 million for a yearlong recovery plan. The Philippine government has separately launched an USD 8.17 billion reconstruction drive over four years.
Ban told reporters that the UN stands firmly with the Philippine efforts and leadership in improving preparedness and resilience to natural disasters.
He said he visited the country to show solidarity with the government and Filipinos, and was deeply moved and inspired by his visit yesterday to Tacloban city, one of the hardest-hit by the typhoon.
"People are working hard to recover," he said. "We must not allow this to be another forgotten crisis."
Ban urged "all donors to add to their already generous response so that we can help communities to build back better and safer."
Philippine Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario said that the typhoon demonstrates the threat of extreme weather patterns that may be the new normal due to climate change.
"The Philippines calls on all nations, rich and poor, to come together to confront this challenge," del Rosario said, adding that his country will "strongly participate" in Ban`s proposed climate change summit in September next year.
British Ambassador Asif Ahmad, one of the ambassadors who met with Ban, said that the UN chief`s visit "was important to retain international and domestic focus on recovery from the typhoon before attention moves on."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared