US blacklists new alias of al Qaeda-linked outfit
Washington: The US State Department has blacklisted the outfit Ansar al-Shari`a, which it said was a "new alias" of the al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP).
The move bars American citizens from doing business with or providing support to the group, and freezes all of its assets under US jurisdiction, Xinhua reported.
A UN sanctions committee also added the outfit to its list Thursday, a move that subjects the group to a worldwide assets freeze, a travel ban and an arms embargo, the department said.
The outfit, based in Yemen as the AQAP, was established to attract potential followers to the Islamic Sharia rule in areas under its control, the department said.
The Ansar al-Shari`a was "simply AQAP`s effort to rebrand itself, with the aim of manipulating people to join AQAP`s terrorist cause", the department said in a statement.
It said the group has taken responsibility for multiple attacks against Yemeni forces, including a suicide bombing in May, which killed more than 100 Yemeni soldiers.
The Ansar al-Shari`a also launched a series of attacks in Yemen in March, also killing around 100 people, many of them Yemeni soldiers, the department added.
The AQAP was branded by Washington as a foreign terrorist organisation in January 2010, as the group was accused of trying to bomb American and Western interests time and again.
"We are determined to eliminate AQAP`s ability to execute violent attacks and to disrupt, dismantle and defeat their networks," the State Department said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27