US blacklists new alias of al Qaeda-linked outfit
Washington: The US State Department has blacklisted the outfit Ansar al-Shari`a, which it said was a "new alias" of the al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP).
The move bars American citizens from doing business with or providing support to the group, and freezes all of its assets under US jurisdiction, Xinhua reported.
A UN sanctions committee also added the outfit to its list Thursday, a move that subjects the group to a worldwide assets freeze, a travel ban and an arms embargo, the department said.
The outfit, based in Yemen as the AQAP, was established to attract potential followers to the Islamic Sharia rule in areas under its control, the department said.
The Ansar al-Shari`a was "simply AQAP`s effort to rebrand itself, with the aim of manipulating people to join AQAP`s terrorist cause", the department said in a statement.
It said the group has taken responsibility for multiple attacks against Yemeni forces, including a suicide bombing in May, which killed more than 100 Yemeni soldiers.
The Ansar al-Shari`a also launched a series of attacks in Yemen in March, also killing around 100 people, many of them Yemeni soldiers, the department added.
The AQAP was branded by Washington as a foreign terrorist organisation in January 2010, as the group was accused of trying to bomb American and Western interests time and again.
"We are determined to eliminate AQAP`s ability to execute violent attacks and to disrupt, dismantle and defeat their networks," the State Department said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way