US consulate in Libya attacked by al Qaeda, hints Hillary

Last Updated: Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 14:07

Washington: Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has suggested there was an explicit link between the Al-Qaeda network in North Africa and attacks on the US consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi.

Backtracking from what the State Department had said previously, Clinton said an Algerian-founded branch of the al Qaeda network was situated in the area, using their location to plan and execute attacks, like the one in Benghazi on September 11.

This was contrary to initial statements of the White House and President Obama, who acknowledged that the consulate attack was a terrorist attack, but that al Qaeda’s involvement`s was unclear.

According to the New York Times, Clinton did not offer any new evidence of a Qaeda link.

She was the highest-ranking Obama administration official to publicly make the connection.

According to the paper, her comments intensified what is becoming a fiercely partisan fight over whether the attack could have been prevented.

ANI



First Published: Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 14:07

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus