US couple accused of abusing Russian adopted child
New York: An American couple will face trial over their alleged physical abuse of a nine-year-old Russian child they adopted.
A court in Manassas, Virginia, ruled Monday there was enough evidence for Matthew and Amy Kathleen Sweeney to stand trial over abusing their Russian foster child, Daniil Kruchin, whom they adopted in 2006. He was given the name Daniel Alexander after his adoption.
Kruchin ran away from home last summer to seek aid from a neighbour, who later called police. Authorities found signs of physical assault on Kruchin, and the boy was transferred into protective custody.
Both parents were arrested in July, but were released on $20,000 bail each until the court`s verdict.
The news arrives amid a new law that took force in Russia Jan 1 which prohibits the adoption of Russian children by American families.
The law, named after Dima Yakovlev, a Russian boy who died after his adoption by a US family, has been slammed by critics as a politicised response to a US law which levels travel bans and asset freezes on Russian officials suspected of human rights abuse.
Out of about 60,000 Russian children adopted by American families in the past two decades, 19 have died at the hands of their parents, Russian officials said.
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- VIDEO: That's huge! Watch 11 biggest sixes in Indian Premier League history ever
- Uttarakhand political crisis: BJP offered Rs 50 crore, party tickets and RS seats to Congress MLAs?
- Supreme Court reserves order on conduct of NEET or AIPMT for medical colleges' admission
- IRNSS-1G launch: PM Modi lauds ISRO, says it's a great gift to people of India from scientists
- SHOCKING VIDEO: OMG! This bowler was almost killed after being hit on face by ball...