US couple accused of abusing Russian adopted child
New York: An American couple will face trial over their alleged physical abuse of a nine-year-old Russian child they adopted.
A court in Manassas, Virginia, ruled Monday there was enough evidence for Matthew and Amy Kathleen Sweeney to stand trial over abusing their Russian foster child, Daniil Kruchin, whom they adopted in 2006. He was given the name Daniel Alexander after his adoption.
Kruchin ran away from home last summer to seek aid from a neighbour, who later called police. Authorities found signs of physical assault on Kruchin, and the boy was transferred into protective custody.
Both parents were arrested in July, but were released on $20,000 bail each until the court`s verdict.
The news arrives amid a new law that took force in Russia Jan 1 which prohibits the adoption of Russian children by American families.
The law, named after Dima Yakovlev, a Russian boy who died after his adoption by a US family, has been slammed by critics as a politicised response to a US law which levels travel bans and asset freezes on Russian officials suspected of human rights abuse.
Out of about 60,000 Russian children adopted by American families in the past two decades, 19 have died at the hands of their parents, Russian officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- Wriddhiman Saha, Ravichandran Ashwin biggest positives in this series: Virat Kohli
- Can't yet verify if wedding bomber was child or linked to Islamic State: Turkish PM
- Donald Trump denies 'flip flopping' on immigration
- Govt plans to launch PM research fellowships for IIT graduates from next academic year
- Guwahati to host 2016 Indian Super League season opener