US couple accused of abusing Russian adopted child
New York: An American couple will face trial over their alleged physical abuse of a nine-year-old Russian child they adopted.
A court in Manassas, Virginia, ruled Monday there was enough evidence for Matthew and Amy Kathleen Sweeney to stand trial over abusing their Russian foster child, Daniil Kruchin, whom they adopted in 2006. He was given the name Daniel Alexander after his adoption.
Kruchin ran away from home last summer to seek aid from a neighbour, who later called police. Authorities found signs of physical assault on Kruchin, and the boy was transferred into protective custody.
Both parents were arrested in July, but were released on $20,000 bail each until the court`s verdict.
The news arrives amid a new law that took force in Russia Jan 1 which prohibits the adoption of Russian children by American families.
The law, named after Dima Yakovlev, a Russian boy who died after his adoption by a US family, has been slammed by critics as a politicised response to a US law which levels travel bans and asset freezes on Russian officials suspected of human rights abuse.
Out of about 60,000 Russian children adopted by American families in the past two decades, 19 have died at the hands of their parents, Russian officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Kejriwal, Mamata to attend Mother Teresa's canonization in Rome on Sept 4
- Flood situation worsens in Assam; Uttarakhand experiences intermittent rain
- Katrina Kaif JOKES about her actual thought behind 'Kala Chashma'—READ inside!
- Two women assaulted at Madhya Pradesh railway station for carrying beef
- Memorial for India's 'missile man': Naidu, Parrikar unveil statue of APJ Abdul Kalam in Rameswaram