US doctor, wife accused of health care fraud
McAllen: A Texas couple accused of violating a US trade embargo with Iran also face federal charges that they defrauded government and private health care programs of more than USD 1.5 million.
Dr Hossein Lahiji and his wife, Najmeh Vahid Lahiji, a lawyer who ran his office, allegedly sought reimbursement for services not performed, including when Lahiji was travelling in Iran, according to a new indictment returned yesterday.
They are charged with health care fraud and conspiracy to commit health care fraud.
Prosecutors say Lahiji reported treating as many as 117 patients a day and on multiple occasions billing more hours than exist in a day.
At least twice, Lahiji was travelling in Iran when someone in his office provided a chemotherapy injection used to treat prostate cancer that the Food and Drug Administration says must be supervised by a physician, the indictment said. Lahiji billed as if he had performed it himself.
Lahiji placed patients "at risk of physical danger”, according to the indictment.
The couple also was indicted in Oregon in 2010 for giving more than USD 1.8 million to the Oregon branch of an Iranian children`s charity that sent the money to Iran. Prosecutors say the transactions violated the trade embargo against Iran.
Their donations were used to make investments in Iran that they retained control over, according to the indictment.
They were charged with defrauding the US Treasury and money laundering. They have denied the allegations. Their attorneys did not immediately return calls for comment today. Trial in that case was scheduled for early next year. Prosecutors say the Texas and Oregon charges are not related.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm