US drone strikes kill 4 al Qaeda suspects: Yemen
Sanaa: Two US drone strikes today killed at least four suspected al Qaeda militants and destroyed the house of another in a mountainous area south of the capital, Sanaa, a Yemeni security official and witnesses said.
The four were killed in the first strike while riding a vehicle in the desert area of Oussab al-Ali, about 140-km south of Sanaa, the official said.
The second strike targeted the house of a suspected jihadi, Hamed Radman, believed to be an al Qaeda member, the official said. He said it was not known whether Radman was inside the house at the time.
A witness in a nearby village said he saw columns of smoke rising into the sky after two explosions rocked the area. He said that US drones have been flying over his village for three days and are still in the sky.
The region, shaped like a triangle and located in the middle of three provinces of central Damar, southern Ibb and eastern Hodeida, has become a hideout for al Qaeda militants since the Yemeni government intensified its offensive against their former strongholds in the south over the past several months.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak to reporters.
In Sanaa, Yemeni authorities have raided houses of suspected al Qaeda members in the past 48 hours, arresting more than 15, including a man whose brother was killed in one of the drone strikes in southern city of Abyan the past months, official said.
Yemen`s al Qaeda branch, known as al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, is considered the group`s most dangerous.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical