US: Immigration official, Suzanne Barr, resigns
Washington: A senior Obama administration political appointee and longtime aide to Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano has resigned amid allegations of inappropriate sexual behaviour lodged by at least three Immigration and Customs Enforcement employees.
Suzanne Barr, the chief of staff to ICE director John Morton, said in her resignation letter yesterday that the allegations against her are "unfounded”. But she said she was stepping down anyway to end distractions within the agency. ICE, a division of the Homeland Security Department, confirmed Barr had resigned.
Barr is accused of sexually inappropriate behaviour toward employees. The complaints are related to a sexual discrimination and retaliation lawsuit filed by a senior ICE agent in May.
In her letter to Morton, Barr said she has been the subject of "unfounded allegations designed to destroy my reputation" and is resigning "with great regret”.
"Of greater concern however, is the threat these allegations represent to the reputation of this agency and the men and women who proudly serve their country by advancing ICE`s mission," Barr wrote. "As such, I feel it is incumbent upon me to take every step necessary to prevent further harm to the agency and to prevent this from further distracting from our critical work."
Barr went on leave last month after the New York Post reported on the lawsuit filed by James T Hayes Jr, ICE`s special agent in charge in New York. Additional employees came forward with their allegations around the same time.
US Representative Peter King, the chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, said in a statement yesterday that Barr`s resignation "raises the most serious questions about management practices and personnel policies at the Department of Homeland Security”.
He said his committee will continue to review the case and personnel practices at DHS.
In one complaint, Barr is accused of telling a male subordinate he was "sexy" and asking a personal question about his anatomy during an office party. In a separate complaint, she is accused of offering to perform a sex act with a male subordinate during a business trip to Bogota, Colombia. She`s also accused of calling a male subordinate from her hotel room and offering to perform a sex act. The names of two of Barr`s accusers were censored in affidavits reviewed by a news agency.
Homeland Security`s office of professional responsibility and inspector general have been investigating the allegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical