US permits donation to Syrian rebels for weapons
Damascus: The Obama administration has reportedly cleared the way for Americans to start donating money to buy weapons for Syria`s rebels.
The US Treasury granted a license to the Syrian Support Group (SSG), a Washington-based organisation with close links to the opposition, to begin fund-raising on behalf the rebels.
According to the Telegraph, supporters of the rebel group Free Syrian Army (FSA) have hailed the move as a ‘game-changer’ in the effort to equip the rebellion with modern weapons capable of matching those of President Bashar al-Assad’s forces.
The Treasury license allows the SSG to supply the rebels with ‘financial, communications, logistical and other services otherwise prohibited’ by American sanctions on Syria, although it does not permit the group to directly purchase weapons.
“This is a game-changer in terms of funding and a sign of a gradual policy shift by the US government,” the paper quoted Brian Sayers, the SSG`S Director of Government Relations, as saying.
“We are optimistic that it will help change the situation on the battlefield in a positive way for the FSA,” he added.
Sayers, however, warned that even a reliable stream of modern weaponry would not be enough to allow the rebels to turn the tide against Assad`s troops.
“It`s not going to be sufficient – even if we raised 50 million dollars for fantastic weaponry it`s not going to allow the FSA to defend a safe zone from Assad`s fighter aircraft,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown