US publishes Magnitsky list of banned Russians
London: The United States has published a list of mainly Russian officials banned from entering the country due to alleged human rights abuses.
The US imposed the sanctions after Russian lawyer Sergei Magnitsky died in jail in 2009 in disputed circumstances.
According to the BBC, the list includes tax officials and police officers who jailed Magnitsky after he accused them of corruption.
Magnitsky was arrested in 2008 for tax evasion after accusing Russian police officials of stealing USD 230 million from the state through fraudulent tax rebates.
His family and rights groups say he was badly beaten and denied medical treatment in custody.
The Magnitsky Act passed by Washington in 2012 blacklists Russian officials accused of involvement in his death. The names on the list have up to now been kept secret, the report said.
In response, Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a Russian law barring Americans from adopting Russian orphans, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi