US rethinking on military support to Africa
Washington: The United States is reconsidering military role and assistance in Africa in view of the recent terror attacks on American citizens in North African countries like Mali and Algeria.
According to White House officials and Africa analysts, there may be a rise in Islamic extremism that would weaken the local governments, because of a direct US role in the continent, the Wall Street Journal reports.
Washington`s proposed decision comes on the heels of the abduction of Western hostages, Americans included, in Algeria, followed by the terrorist attack on the US consulate in Libya, where four Americans, including Ambassador Christopher Stevens were killed.
According to American military officials, the terrorist group al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) in northern Mali, also active in Libya, Morocco, and Algeria, has grown more dangerous more quickly than many assumed several years ago.
Somalia is also in danger of an increase in terror activities because of renewed diplomatic relations with the US, which helped weaken the Islamic extremist group, al-Shabaab, through training and financial assistance, according to US officials.
Congressman Mike Rogers, the chairman of the White House Intelligence Committee, said that a cohesive administration approach to pressurise al Qaeda and Islamist militants across Africa is missing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read