US sanctions 10 Iran shipping firms
Washington: The United States has imposed sanctions on ten Iranian shipping firms affiliated with the Islamic Republic of Iran Shipping Lines (IRISL), including Irano Hind, a joint venture with Shipping Corporation of India.
Announcing the sanctions, seen as part of expanded efforts to isolate Tehran, the US Department of the Treasury said Tuesday the ten sanctioned shipping and front companies and one individual based in Malta were affiliated with the IRISL.
Accusing the firms of "involvement in Iran`s efforts to advance its missile programmes and transport military cargoes," the Treasury said they "have increasingly relied upon multiple front companies and agents to overcome the impact of US and international sanctions and increased scrutiny of their behaviour."
"As IRISL and its subsidiaries continue their deceptive efforts to escape the grasp of US and international sanctions, we will continue to take action-as we are today-to expose the front companies, agents and managers working with IRISL and work to stop this illicit business," said Under Secretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence David S. Cohen.
The entities and individual designated Tuesday are owned or controlled by, or acting or purporting to act for or on behalf of, directly or indirectly, IRISL, Irano Hind, or ISI Maritime, it said.
IRISL has facilitated shipments of military-related cargo destined for Iran`s Ministry of Defence and Armed Forces Logistics (MODAFL) and its subordinate entities, including organizations designated by the United States for sanctions, the Treasury said.
In Sep 2009, the Treasury Department also designated the IRISL-Shipping Corporation of India joint venture, Irano Hind. The UN Security Council designated Irano Hind in Resolution 1929 in 2010.
Treasury department`s action was taken under an executive order aimed at freezing the assets of proliferators of weapons of mass destruction and their supporters, excluding them from the US financial and commercial systems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir
- Alphabet executive steps down from Uber board amid growing competition
- Facebook CEO says group will not become a media company