US slaps sanctions on major Iranian bank
Washington: The US Tuesday slapped sanctions
against a major Iranian bank, which followed the additional tough sanctions against Tehran by the European Union.
The US Treasury Department designated Iran`s
third-largest bank, Bank Tejarat, for providing financial
services to several Iranian banks and firms already subject to
international sanctions for their involvement in Iran`s
In all, 23 Iranian-linked financial institutions, so far, including all of Iran`s largest state-owned banks, have been sanctioned by the US based on their involvement in Iran`s nuclear programme.
"At a time when banks around the world are cutting off
Iran and its currency is depreciating rapidly, today`s action
against Bank Tejarat strikes at one of Iran`s few remaining
access points to the international financial system," said
Treasury Under Secretary for Terrorism and Financial
Intelligence David S Cohen.
"Today`s sanction against Bank Tejarat will deepen Iran`s
financial isolation, make its access to hard currency even
more tenuous, and further impair Iran`s ability to finance its
illicit nuclear program," he said.
Sanctions against Bank Tejarat have been imposed for
providing financial services to Bank Mellat, the Export
Development Bank of Iran (EDBI), the Islamic Republic of Iran
Shipping Lines (IRISL), and the Ministry of Defense for Armed
Forces Logistics (MODAFL), all of which were previously
designated by the the Treasury Department or the Department of
State for their involvement in Iran`s nuclear activities.
Trade Capital Bank also was designated today for
providing financial services to EDBI and for being owned or
controlled by Bank Tejarat, the Treasury said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered