US studying repercussions of Israeli attack on Iran
New York: An Israeli attack on Iran would
lead to a wider regional war, which could draw in the United States and leave hundreds of Americans dead.
With an Israeli attack on Iran within the next year
appearing to be a possibility to American officials, the US
has undertaken a "classified war simulation" to assess the
real world repercussions of such an attack and America`s
preparedness to deal with the conflict, New York Times
"A classified war simulation held this month to assess
the repercussions of an Israeli attack on Iran forecasts that the strike would lead to a wider regional war, which could draw in the United States and leave hundreds of Americans dead," New York Times report quoted American officials as saying.
The two-week war game, known as the `Internal Look`,
played out a scenario in which the US found it was pulled into
the conflict after Iranian missiles struck a Navy warship in
the Persian Gulf, killing about 200 Americans, officials with
knowledge of the exercise said in the report.
The war-game then plays out a scenario in which the US
retaliates by carrying out its own strikes on Iranian nuclear
While the war game was not designed as a rehearsal for
American military action, it has raised fears among top
American planners that it may be impossible to preclude
American involvement in any escalating confrontation with
Officials at the White House and Pentagon have expressed
concern that the consequences of any Israeli attack could
prove perilous for the United States.
"With the Israelis saying publicly that the window to
prevent Iran from building a nuclear bomb is closing, American
officials see an Israeli attack on Iran within the next year
as a possibility. They have said privately that they believe
that Israel would probably give the United States little or no
warning should Israeli officials make the decision to strike
Iranian nuclear sites," the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL